What happens when gears are connected? Do they rotate together, at the same speed, direction or with similar force? Truly experience gears through this activity; growing understanding through tinkering, experimentation and even engineering amusement park rides.
This activity comes with downloadable engineering challenges and optional labs. For ages 5 through 13 (different challenges/labs for different ages). Optional activities teach about fractions, ratios, proportions and mechanical advantage.
The TeacherGeek Maker Tool Set is required for construction.
MS Word or PDF - Which document format should you download? Always download the PDF document, unless you want to edit/change it. If you want to edit/change the document, download the MS Word (Microsoft Word™) version.
Just got your Tinker Set? Start here to get it set-up. Then move on to our labs or challenges!
- Optional Obstacle Course Challenge: PDF or MS Word -- Students design a moving, spinning obstacle course! Recommended for Grades 1-3.
- Optional Kinetic Sculpture Challenge: PDF or MS Word -- Students use gears to make interactive art or dioramas. Recommended for Grades 1-5.
- Optional Amusement Park Challenge: PDF or MS Word --Students design as many amusement park rides as possible. Recommended for Grades 3-8.
These labs give students a hands-on way to investigate fractions, ratios, and proportions!
- Fraction Lab: PDF or MS Word --Students use gears as a manipulative to learn about fractions. Covers all 3rd grade CCSS fraction standards; recommended for Grades 3-4.
- Ratio & Proportion Lab: PDF or MS Word --Students graph bridge deflect
- Classroom Overview: PDF or MS Word--A brief overview of the Gears Tinker Set documents and their standards (NGSS, CCSS for Math and CCSS for ELA).
Mechanical Advantage Activity
- Mechanical Advantage: PDF or MS Word--Students feel mechanical advantage and have the option of calculating it. This is a great resource to use concurrently with a challenge.
Available at two different learning levels, the TeacherGeek Engineering Notebook is designed to help students cycle thru the Design & Engineering Process and help them innovate and invent new designs. Use an Engineering Notebook page for each iteration of design. It is recommended that extra pages are printed and on-hand during activities.
STEAM Market-It Challenge
Add the STEAM Market-It Challenge to any completed TeacherGeek activity to teach students how to turn their TeacherGeek design into a retail product. Students will learn the 4 'Ps' of marketing - Product, Placement, Price and Promotion. Students have the option of completing a commercial, a billboard or retail packaging as a summative assessment.
TeacherGeek Tools You'll Need
What tools will you need to do this activity?
Cutting strips and wire
Saw, Pruning Shears
|Hammering and Tapping||
Hold the nuts while tightening screws
Make your bridge even better by incorporating recycling bin material.
Gears Tinker Set Components
What's in the Gears Tinker Set Activity?
|Component:||10pk Quantity:||Single Quantity:|
|50 Tooth Gears||20||2|
|40 Tooth Gears||20||2|
|20 Tooth Gears||20||2|
|10 Tooth Gears||20||2|
|3in Slide Stop||10||1|
This is an educational product and not a toy. It is intended for use by ages 5 and above with adult supervision.
Science, Math & Engineering Standards
TeacherGeek products fit proposals, grants or lesson plans with ease! Explore more resources below:Next Generation Science Standards
NGSS Standards Download - PDF
NGSS Standards Spreadsheet - Editable /Searchable Excel Sheet
International Technology & Engineering Educators' Association Standards
ITEEA Standards Download - PDF
ITEEA Standards Spreadsheet - Editable/Searchable Excel Sheet