Gears Tinker Set Activity Documents
Gears Tinker Set Activity Document Downloads
What happens when gears are connected? Do they rotate together, at the same speed, direction or with similar force? Truly experience gears through this activity; growing understanding through tinkering, experimentation and even engineering amusement park rides.
Scroll down to download engineering challenges and optional labs. For ages 5 through 13 (different challenges/labs for different ages). Optional activities teach about fractions, ratios, proportions and mechanical advantage.
The TeacherGeek Maker Tool Set is required for construction.
MS Word or PDF - Which document format should you download? Always download the PDF document, unless you want to edit/change it. If you want to edit/change the document, download the MS Word (Microsoft Word™) version.
Just got your Tinker Set? Start here to get it set-up. Then move on to our labs or challenges!
- Optional Obstacle Course Challenge: PDF or MS Word -- Students design a moving, spinning obstacle course! Recommended for Grades 1-3.
- Optional Kinetic Sculpture Challenge: PDF or MS Word -- Students use gears to make interactive art or dioramas. Recommended for Grades 1-5.
- Optional Amusement Park Challenge: PDF or MS Word --Students design as many amusement park rides as possible. Recommended for Grades 3-8.
These labs give students a hands-on way to investigate fractions, ratios, and proportions!
- Fraction Lab: PDF or MS Word --Students use gears as a manipulative to learn about fractions. Covers all 3rd grade CCSS fraction standards; recommended for Grades 3-4.
- Ratio & Proportion Lab: PDF or MS Word --Students graph bridge deflect
- Classroom Overview: PDF or MS Word--A brief overview of the Gears Tinker Set documents and their standards (NGSS, CCSS for Math and CCSS for ELA).
Mechanical Advantage Activity
- Mechanical Advantage Activity: PDF or MS Word--Students feel mechanical advantage and have the option of calculating it. This is a great resource to use concurrently with a challenge.
Available at two different learning levels, the TeacherGeek Engineering Notebook is designed to help students cycle thru the Design & Engineering Process and help them innovate and invent new designs. Use an Engineering Notebook page for each iteration of design. It is recommended that extra pages are printed and on-hand during activities.
STEAM Market-It Challenge
Add the STEAM Market-It Challenge to any completed TeacherGeek activity to teach students how to turn their TeacherGeek design into a retail product. Students will learn the 4 'Ps' of marketing - Product, Placement, Price and Promotion. Students have the option of completing a commercial, a billboard or retail packaging as a summative assessment.
Zoetropes & Thaumatropes with Gears
While not an official activity, you can use gears to create motion pictures! Check out the JPEG for inspiration.
- Zoetropes & Thaumatropes: JPEG
Science, Math & Engineering Standards
TeacherGeek products fit proposals, grants or lesson plans with ease! Explore more resources below:Next Generation Science Standards
NGSS Standards Download - PDF
NGSS Standards Spreadsheet - Editable /Searchable Excel Sheet
International Technology & Engineering Educators' Association Standards
ITEEA Standards Download - PDF
ITEEA Standards Spreadsheet - Editable/Searchable Excel Sheet